Due to school holidays, I’ve recently spent less time at my computer and more time doing other things. During a winter hike in brisk, sunny weather yesterday, it occurred to me that the job hunt is a lot like a hike:
1. Sometimes when you get to the top of a hill, you are on top of the world….and sometimes you find you’ve got yet another hill to climb.
2. You’ll enjoy the hike more, and travel further if you leave unnecessary baggage at home.
3. It’s important to have a map and compass. Know where you are going, and stop frequently to make sure you are on course.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for directions if you need to, but don’t count on always finding someone to ask.
5. Good company makes the journey easier.
6. The things you find most interesting along the way are often not what you expected to see.
7. If you want to see wildlife, walk quietly and listen carefully.
8. Watch where you step, and try not to trip. But realize that everyone falls down at some point.
9. Be willing to help fellow hikers in distress.
10. It’s important to dress appropriately for the climate.